Problem with special characters on a UTF-8 site

Explorer like navigation tree for websites
Navigationsbaum für Internet Auftritte.
Andre

Problem with special characters on a UTF-8 site

Post by Andre »

First of all thanks for this great menu.

I am currently building a site that uses UTF-8 encoding Unfortunately it seems that special characters like ( é ß ä ) will make the menu crash in UTF-8. Is this a know issue or is there a work around for this.

Thanx in advance,
André
Hans
Site Admin

Problem unknown

Post by Hans »

Hi Andre,

first of all, thank you for using TreeMenu. Second, your problem was never reported before. Could you please tell me how the menu crashes? E.g. any error messages, faulty graphics or something like that? Which browser do you use and could you test the menu using different browsers?

For me it is amazing that there ought be any relationship between UTF-8 encoding and TreeMenu, because TreeMenu does not include or use anything related with encoding, it only puts some standard html-code into the document. But the html-document itself can be formatted using UTF-8 or something similar. Did you check/extend your html-header with something like

Code: Select all

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
to support or obstruct UTF-8-cognition?

Please first try to extend your html-header of the menu-file to support UTF-8 encoding providing the content-type you need, as shown above. If the problem remains, you may send me the affected files or give me your url to check the files by myself.

I hope, this might help somehow. I'd be happy to hear your progress.

Thanks
Hans Bauer
Your forum admin

Giving this page an other characterset does the trick

Post by Guest »

First of al, thanks for your quick reply

The crash only acures using IE and generates a javascript error: ')' expected.

To see that it is realy does go wrong, you can press the right mouse button on your menu in IE and select the UTF-8 encoding. I won't tell anyone :)

Fortunately changing the content type of the page to ISO does the trick.

danke sehr,

Bis balt (or something like that)