Split large Menu

Explorer like navigation tree for websites
Navigationsbaum für Internet Auftritte.
MaHa

Split large Menu

Post by MaHa »

Dear Hans,

I am using Treemenu for years for our Club website. Over the years the menu.html document structure is getting bigger and bigger and so hard to read. Most of the menuentries getting static after a time. I am using different Icons to show the visitor : hey guy here is something new. So i have to change 3 to 4 lines of code (depending on the depth), that this information is propagated through the whole tree. I separated parts of the code with empty lines, but it is frustrating searching all the lines every time i change the menu.

It would be fine, if there is an option to load parts of the menu via TXT/HTML File. I have done some testing splitting the menu but did fail. I am a newbee to Java programming.

regards Martin
www.smg-klabautermann.de
Hans
Site Admin

Re: Split large Menu

Post by Hans »

Hello Martin,

Thank you for using TreeMenu for years.

I already tried to implement the ability of partial loading the Tree getting two side-effects:
1.) The handling of the Tree-Structure was getting more and more complicated by additional options
2.) The stability of TreeMenu dropped for some browsers depending on the kind of implementation.

So i stopped my works on this. But you may easily show more than one TreeMenu on your Website instead of parital loading sections of the Tree.

I also try to understand your problem of belatedly manipulating numerous menuitems. Using a text-editor it should easily be possible to change the name of the icons of an arbitrary section of your Tree by marking the section and perform a simple search-and-replace. To increase readability i implemented the indention to show the hierarchy in the tree. I have no better idea to point out the dependencies.

Other possibilities might be creating a independent program to manipulate your html-code or to use databases as underlying source. My intention for TreeMenu was to exactly avoid this.

I hope you can agree with my afore statements and that they are helpful for you.

Regards Hans
Your forum admin