large tree performance

Explorer like navigation tree for websites
Navigationsbaum für Internet Auftritte.
FrancisL

large tree performance

Post by FrancisL »

Hello,

First of all, let me tell I’m very impressed by the high level quality of the support. I have browsed the forum to find answers to my questions. As I’m newbie in web and JavaScript programming I have still a few questions. In my project I expect to display several thousands of treeitems.

My first question is about performance:
- At startup, I suppose the time to display the page increases with the number of items. How does it increase? What will be common delays for a one thousand items tree and a two thousand items tree?
- Are there other time penalties to consider with large trees?

Second one is about API: once the tree is displayed, how to tell the tree to display and expand any particular item?

Regards,

Francis (French speaking)
Hans
Site Admin

Your questions

Post by Hans »

Hello FrancisL,

1.) Thank you for the flowers.

2.) Question: My first question is about performance.
Answer: See the post
- http://www.h-bauer.de/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16

3.) Question: Are there other time penalties?
Answer: There seem to be some problems using IE-6 and some minor problems using IE-7 but i was not able to reproduce the mentioned problems so far. Those problems are assumed to be caused by the suboptimal implementation of javascript by ms and not by TreeMenu. But nevertheless I'm looking forward to find out the reason of the inconvenience and solve the delay problem. For more informations you may read the post
- http://www.h-bauer.de/bb/viewtopic.php?t=181

4.) Question: ... how to tell the tree to display...?
Answer: See the help files included in the package you download with TreeMenu. The help explains all necessary steps to create, show and manipulate the tree. You receive a fully functional TreeMenu and you only have to adjust it according to your needs. That means you directly can start the Tree after unzipping the archive on your pc.

Did my answers help? Please don't hesitate to contact me again on any problems.

Thank you
Hans Bauer
Your forum admin
FrancisL

Post by FrancisL »

Many thanks for the answer. I don't think I'll use a JavaScript tree for my project (too large trees) but will retain the existence of TreeMenu for future possible use.

Best regards,
Francis